Sunnah of Trimming Hair / Nails
To grow the moustache below the lips is forbidden and a sin. Those who grow their nails long following fashion should be aware that this is a very serious matter and should be stopped as it is not fit for a Muslim to grow the nails, we should be representable and an example to the rest.
Abu Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him) reported that, 'Five are the acts of fitra (natural inclination): 1) circumcision, 2) removing the hair below the navel, 3) trimming the moustache, 4) cutting the nails, and 5) plucking the hair under the arms.'
Abu Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him) has related that, 'The Messenger of Allah (may Allah bless him and grant him peace) before going to Friday prayer would clip his nails and moustache.'
Every fifteenth day
The Messenger of Allah (may Allah bless him and grant him peace) would get his nails pared every fifteen days.
Do not exceed forty days
Anas (may Allah be pleased with him) relates that the Messenger of Allah (may Allah bless him and grant him peace) said that, 'Do not let forty days elapse without trimming the moustache and paring the nails.'
Anas (may Allah be pleased with him) states that, 'To trim the moustache and nails and remove the hair under the arms and the hair below the navel we have been given a time to take them off, do not leave them for more than forty days (meaning trim them within forty days).'
Method of cutting nails
'Ali (may Allah be pleased with him) narrates the way of cutting the nails: FOR THE RIGHT HAND: start of with the index finger, forefinger, ring finger and little finger, then moving onto the LEFT HAND: little finger, ring finger, forefinger, index finger, thumb and lastly the thumb of the right hand. Then to wash the hands after cutting the nails.
For toe nails - Start with the right foot small toe and proceed until the big toe, then start with the left foot big toe and & conclude with the small toe (Semi-circle).
There is no specified way recorded for trimming the nails but it is better to use the same method that Khilal (wiping in between the toes in ablution) is done.
It is requested that you also follow this blessed Sunnah and cut your nails in this manner. The biggest benefit one can gain is that if you teach others the Sunnah and they act upon it then you will gain the reward for this until it is practised and passed on, Insha-Allah!
What to do with them'
After cutting the nails and hair of the body, one should collect them all and bury them, since we all are made from soil and thus the hair and nails should be put back to the earth. .
Manners of cutting the fingernails & hair
1. To remove the hair directly below the navel, under the arms and to trim the nails once a week is Mustahab (preferable), it is permissible after fifteen days and to leave it for after forty days is disliked (Makrooh). It is preferable on Thursday or Friday as it is stated that the Messenger of Allah (may Allah bless him and grant him peace) would do this before Jumu'ah Salaah.
2. To wash the fingers after trimming the nails is desirable.
3. Do not bite your nails as it is disliked and a predisposition to infectious diseases.
4. To get rid of the hair under the navel is Sunnah and the best day is Friday.
5. It is permissible to use hair removal cream.
6. It is Sunnah to pluck and there is no problem in shaving the hair under the arms.
7. Do not remove the hair from inside the nose as it could affect an illness of sense. 'Abd-Allah bin Basheer (may Allah's Mercy be upon him) said that, 'Tweezing of the nasal hair can lead to a disease called Aakilah (cancer or gangrene).'
8. If the eyebrows become long, then to trim them is permissible.
9. To take of hair in any part of the body when in the state of impurity (when bathing is obligatory) is disliked (Makrooh).
10. The hair and nails should be buried and to flush them is disliked (Makrooh) as there is a chance of illness spreading.
11. Women should put the hair that has been removed from the head, naval and under the arm in a place that no non-permissible man can see (Ghair Mehram). As this is part of the Aurah and should be covered even after removing from the body.
12. Four things should be buried, blood, hair, nails and the cloth that has been used for the menstrual period (Haiz).